Who can come to Tumaini Counselling Centres as a client?
The counselling, psychiatric and pastoral care services are provided for AIM and WBTI missionaries, as well as missionaries from approximately 160 different mission organizations serving in primarily East and Central Africa. Others in ministry are welcome to access the services when our Centres have the capacity to respond.
What does it cost to come to Tumaini?
All of the clinical and pastoral staff at Tumaini are volunteers and thus do not receive personal income through services provided at Tumaini. However, we do charge fees to cover the costs of running the centres. We have reduced fees for missionaries working with AIM, SIL or SIM and for other missionaries. The counsellor will discuss the payment with the client at the beginning of the assessment process.
Will what I share with you be confidential?
All of the counselling services at Tumaini Counselling Centres are confidential. Information regarding the counselling is released only with the client’s written permission, with the following exceptions:
- Ethically and legally, if there is a reasonable possibility that the client might harm him/herself or others, the counsellor is responsible to inform others in order to protect the client or others from harm
- Information subpoenaed by court will be given as required by law
- In case of suspected abuse or neglect of minors, the counsellor is required to report this information to the appropriate authorities.
When children under 18 are in treatment, written permission is obtained from the parent(s), and the counsellor will discuss with the parents and the child the parameters of how and what will be shared with the parents.
The client should let the counsellor know if he/she has any questions or concerns in regard to confidentiality.
Can you offer languages other than English?
Yes. The languages we can offer varies from time to time depending on the clinical staff we have available, but at present (Aug 2015)
- In Nairobi we have staff who can speak German, Korean and Mandarin, as well as English.
- In Kampala we can offer German, as well as English.
Do you have a list of accommodation near the Tumaini centres?
Click the link below for a PDF file of guest houses and retreat centres:
- In the Karen area of Nairobi: List of Accommodation near Tumaini, Nairobi – updated Sep 2015.
- In the Lubowa area of Kampala: List of Accommodation near Tumaini, Kampala – updated March 2016
Please note that we don’t endorse any of the sites mentioned.
How can I join your team or support your work?
For information on praying for us, joining our team, or donating to support our work, please see our page on